VPN technology provides a connection over an existing network (Internet). For example, your smartphone has access to the Internet – this is the first level network. On top of it, you can connect another connection to the Internet (second layer network) via VPN. Why is this needed? In order for the site to think that you came from another country (region). For example, you can buy VPN from USA or Germany, Italy or Japan – in general, any country.
This technology has a lot of advantages, the main ones are:
- Traffic encryption. All transmitted data from the Internet to your smartphone is encrypted, no one can read them. This is very useful when using public Wi-Fi networks in a cafe, restaurant, subway, public transport or at the airport; when you log into the Internet bank and make payments.
- This advantage follows from the first – an attacker will not be able to intercept your account, personal correspondence, mail.
- Access to blocked services and sites. Using a VPN allows you to visit any blocked sites in your country. This is especially true for China, where half of the country uses a VPN to access Google mail.
- There is a lot of competition in the VPN market now, so the prices are not high. On average, 1 month of using a VPN costs 100 rubles. The shares are even cheaper.
- Sometimes a VPN can help you find cheaper flights on carriers' websites when you use a VPN for the same country as the carrier.
Of the minuses, it is worth noting the complex setup for a beginner. But you set up 1 time, and then use it for a long time.
to the content
Where to buy a VPN
VPNs can be distributed for free on the web, but often they do not guarantee high speed, encryption or protection of your transmitted data. They are needed to access blocked sites in the country of residence. If this is for you – google phrases like “free vpn”, “vpn for free”. Play Market has applications with free VPNs – Zen Mate, HideMe.
Paid VPNs guarantee the speed and encryption of your data. Usually you are offered several countries to choose from. Quite good VPNs are sold by companies: NordVPN, Fornex, Private VPN, Trust Zone, and others.
to the content
How to enable and configure
After purchasing a VPN, you will be given the settings – and you need to “hammer” them into your phone.
Set up VPN on Samsung (on other smartphones the process is similar): Settings – Connections – Other settings – VPN.
Add VPN. Before this, the system will ask you to set up a PIN code, password or fingerprint on your phone (if it was not there before).
- Name – write any.
- Connection type (PPTP, L2TP).
- Server address.
- Use encryption (PPP, MPPE)?
Usually, you only need to specify the connection name (any), server address + login + password (given after purchasing a VPN). You don't need to touch anything else.
Sometimes additional data is required, but usually they are not needed:
- DNS lookup domains.
- DNS servers.
- Redirecting routes.
So you've set up your VPN on your phone / tablet. What's next? You open your browser and use any sites on the Internet, even if they are blocked in your country, and at the same time do not fear for your safety and leakage of personal data, bank accounts and plastic card data.
Finally, there is a widespread misconception that using a VPN will slow down your Internet speed (mobile or wi-fi, it doesn't matter). It is not always so. There is a concept of “ping” (response speed) – this is the time it takes to respond from a remote server (website on the Internet). If you use VPN USA in Russia, the ping will be large, and sites may not open immediately (costs – an extra 1-2 seconds to open), and if VPNs from European countries, the ping is small, and you will not notice any delay or “brakes”. So feel free to use a VPN to surf, watch videos and download large files.